Erie, Harborcreek and Millcreek, PA
Chipping or cracking a tooth can reduce your self-confidence and potentially increase your risk for complications with your oral health. Patients who suffer from damaged teeth often benefit from getting porcelain veneers to restore the aesthetics of their smile. Your cosmetic dentist in Erie at Laser Dentistry of Erie understands the importance of flashing a bright smile, so we are sharing how porcelain veneers can fix chipped teeth.
What causes a chipped or cracked tooth?
Your natural teeth are not indestructible and are susceptible to chipping or cracking in various ways. Below are some of the most common ways patients have chipped or cracked their teeth.
- Trauma – Sporting accidents, automobile accidents, and slip and falls may cause teeth to become damaged.
- Malocclusion – A misaligned bite causes uneven or excess pressure on other teeth and could cause chipping, cracking, and other damage.
- Bruxism – Bruxism is clenching and grinding your teeth while sleeping. It is a chronic condition that could go undetected for many years. However, the condition wears away tooth enamel, and your teeth could chip or crack from the pressure if the condition is not addressed.
- Cavities – As tooth decay weakens the structure of your teeth, your teeth become more prone to damage, such as chipping or cracking.
- Poor Oral Hygiene – Caring for your oral heal is critical as a lack of proper hygiene could increase your risk for dental damage, especially if there are areas of severe decay or tooth enamel erosion.
What are the potential dangers of chipped teeth?
Although the rest of your oral health may be perfect, a chipped tooth could make your smile appear unhealthy and reduce your self-confidence. In addition to a negative aesthetic appearance, your chipped or cracked tooth could compromise the tooth, making it vulnerable to additional damage, decay, and infection. Therefore, when you notice or feel a chipped or cracked tooth, it is important to contact your professional dentist in Millcreek at Laser Dentistry of Erie for an appointment to have the situation addressed as soon as possible.
How can porcelain veneers fix chipped or cracked teeth?
As one of the most popular treatments for chipped or cracked teeth, porcelain veneers are ultra-thin shells crafted from high-quality porcelain that is strong and durable to restore your smile. The porcelain shells are tinted to match your surrounding teeth creating a full, balanced smile and additional benefits as well.
Before placing your porcelain veneers on your teeth, Dr. Starr will remove less than one millimeter of tooth enamel from the affected tooth. Then, using sophisticated technology, digital images of your teeth will help in the handcrafting of your porcelain veneers, and the process can be completed while you wait. Once the veneers are ready, they are bonded to your teeth for the most natural results.
How do I know if I am a candidate for porcelain veneers?
Porcelain veneers are not the perfect treatment for all patients. Patients who do not have gum disease or extensive tooth decay should qualify to receive porcelain veneers. However, if restorative procedures are needed, they will be performed before placing your veneers. If you want to find out if you are a candidate for porcelain veneers, feel free to contact your local cosmetic dentist in Millcreek at Laser Dentistry of Erie to schedule an appointment.
Cosmetic Dentistry in Erie, Harborcreek and Millcreek, PA
Porcelain veneers are a quick non-surgical way to correct and protect teeth that are chipped or cracked. The procedure is simple and could restore your smile to perfection. To find out more about how porcelain veneers could repair your smile, feel free to contact your local cosmetic dentist in Erie at Laser Dentistry of Erie by calling (814) 825-2615 or book an appointment online today.